Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Top Ten Books On Lesley Anne's Fall Reading List


It's quite possible I'm going to bubble over with excitement over today's post. First of all, it's the first day of Fall, which is pretty much a holiday in my book. I'm starting to get just as excited (if not more!) about decorating our house for Fall as I do for Christmas. The wreaths and pumpkins and candles have been out in our house for more than a week now--I just couldn't help it! Second, on top of it being my favorite time of year, I absolutely LOVE today's TTT topic. Even though I'm very much a mood reader and usually don't stick to my lists, I love seeing what everyone else has on their queue to read soon! Here are the books I plan to curl up with and read (with a warm cup of Pumpkin Spice Brûlée in hand!) this Fall.


1. Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas - WHY have I not read this yet?! HOW have I not read this yet?! I seriously don't know. But what I do know--once I finally get my act together--is that I can't wait to dive back into the world Sarah J. Maas has so brilliantly created and see what's next for Celeana, Chaol, and Dorian.

2. The Caged Graves by Diane Salerni - This novel sounds deliciously eerie and moody--the perfect read for October. The story is inspired by a pair of real caged graves in the small town in Pennsylvania where the novel is set. I love love love historical fiction based on real events!

3. Sabriel by Garth Nix - Oh man. Oh man oh man oh man. I've heard SO many good things about this series. Sarah J. Maas and Margot from Epic Reads--two ladies whose reading taste I completely trust--have both rec'd it over and over again. And as a longtime fantasy fan, it sounds like it's exactly my cup of tea.


1. The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen - Jenny was actually with me when I spotted the hardcover edition of this on sale at Target back in July. After a minor freakout over the gorgeous endpapers and illustrations inside, I knew I had to bring a copy of this one home with me. And I'm so glad I did! I absolutely cannot wait to get to know Kelsea and learn about the world of the Tearling.

5. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - I've made it about halfway through this one and have unfortunately hit a wall with it. Since I've already made considerable progress, finishing this is my number one priority this Fall. I know once I get back into it, Jamie will give me plenty of motivation to finish. ;)

6. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen - This is the next book on my reading schedule for the Austen Project once I finish Mansfield Park. But you know, there's always a question on whether or not I will actually finish Mansfield Park.

7. Serena by Ron Rash - I first heard of this book because of the upcoming movie with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper. Since I spent so much time in the mountains of North Carolina growing up (and still do as an adult), I will read any and everything set there. Plus, this book has a slightly disturbing feel to it, so it just screams to be read in the Fall.

8. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand - I'm secretly hoping our book club will pick this as our November book so we can all go see the movie together in December. Louis Zamperini's story, just from the little I've heard about it, sounds absolutely inspiring and life-changing, and I can't wait to read all about it.

9. I Shall Be Near to You by Erin Lindsay McCabe - There seem to be several novels popping up lately about women disguising themselves as men in order to fight in the Civil War, but according to HannahCassieKelly, and ElliceI Shall Be Near to You is the cream of the crop. I will gladly take their advice and find out for myself - this one sounds like a gem!

10. Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth - A weaving together of historical fiction and a retelling of Rapunzel? That's ALL I need to know. :)

Honorable Mentions (because I couldn't pick just 10!): Nowhere But Home by Liza Palmer, Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, and a re-read of Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. 


So tell me: What's on your reading list this Fall? 

Previous seasonal reading lists:

5 comments:

  1. Mansfield Park is slower than some of Austen's other novels but in my opinion it inspires some of the deepest discussion.
    I love Northanger Abbey so you need to hurry up and finish Mansfield Park so you can get to that! ;)
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2014/09/top-ten-books-on-my-fall-to-be-read-list.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. *gasps* YES TO OUTLANDER! It was my first romance with a historical feel and I loved it. Highly recommend checking out the TV show once you finish too. Hope you enjoy all your picks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Unbroken is amazing. I've already read it but I will gladly vote for that one again. Such an amazing story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of these are on my TBR list or I've already read, so I love this list! Unbroken, Serena, and I Shall Be Near To You are all great! Wish I lived near you guys so I could go to your book club!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished reading THE CAGED GRAVES. It IS eerie and moody. It really made me wonder what the real caged graves were all about. So weird.

    Happy Fall reading to you both!

    ReplyDelete