Friday, January 1, 2016

LOTR Read-Along: The End

 

We finished this book a good 3 weeks ago, but I just have not been able to bring myself to write this post. The ending of this series was bittersweet. Bitter, because it had to end. Sweet, because it was one of (if not the) best endings of any series I have read. About half way through Return of the King I began to worry about how it would end. This is a heavy story; sacrifice and suffering color it in heavy, sweeping strokes. Everything cannot be wrapped up neatly! If it had had a Pollyanna ending I would have been furious. 

All my fears were unfounded, of course. Tolkien is such a master craftsman that he would not bungle the narrative at so crucial a juncture as the ending. There is so much I want to say but I do not want to draw this post out. Rather, reflect back on these last 4 chapters. Some hurts are so deep that they cannot be healed this side of heaven. Learning to endure them is the lesson of a lifetime.

1. What do you make of Arwen's gift to Frodo? Why did she choose that one of all that she could have offered him?

2. Why couldn't Gandalf go to the Shire with the Hobbits?

3. Why does Frodo refuse to kill Wormtongue?

4.  Would you change the ending? If yes, how so?

Happy, happy New Year to y'all. I hope this year brings growth, joy, and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment