Tuesday, February 18, 2014

An Ode to Tea

I don't know about you, but when I am reading, I like to be comfortable. If I can't be reading on the beach (the most wonderful place in the world to read, in my opinion), then the next best place is curled up under a blanket with sweatpants on, cup of tea in hand. Now, many of you are unfortunate enough to be unacquainted with the beauties of hot tea. I used to be one of you. It is not something I grew up drinking in my house. There was sweet tea, of course, but not hot tea. That was something my grandparents ordered at the Chinese restaurant or English people drank in stories.

My first time trying hot tea occurred while living in Brazil. One of our good friends tried their best to enlighten my taste buds, but it just didn't take that first time. The tea was flowery; I do not remember the exact flower but it Was. Not. For. Me. Needless to say, that put me off tea until my freshman year of college. Enter Katy Horton, stage right. She was an MK (missionary kid, for those of you not in the know) who had been living in Thailand before coming back to America for college. She dared me (it really is terrible how many things she got me to do that way) to try some of her tea. Of course I had to drink it. Plus, she looked so cultured when she drank hot tea instead of coffee! To my surprise, I really enjoyed it. It was a tea from Thailand that was apple flavored, similar to chamomile. I was hooked.

Fast forward 8 years or so and I have become the unofficial tea guru here among my friends. (Katy does not live here, otherwise the job would fall to her). I love turning people on to hot tea, especially because it is not a normal go-to option around here. I do not like coffee and I can only drink so much hot chocolate. Tea comes in a variety of flavors; I am guaranteed to find one that will fit my mood. Here is a picture of my very disorganized and cluttered tea shelf:


I admit, I am not a very good tea guru. I know what I like and that is what I recommend. With that being said, here is a list of the teas I think everyone should own.

1. Chamomile. This tea is wonderful for colds and settling your stomach. It has a sweet apple taste. Sometimes I add sugar to mine, but not very often. For me, it is sweet enough as is. (This is something each person will have to work out for themselves)

2. Mint. This tea is also wonderful for settling your stomach. You also feel like you have drank a peppermint. It is really smooth. I do not add any sugar to mint tea. Perfect for when you've had a huge dinner and feel like you are going to explode.

3. Lady Grey. This is the cousin of Earl Grey tea. It has hints of citrus that the other does not. I add sugar to this tea. It is very light and has a distinct flavor.

4. Anything from Teavana. This is a bit of a cop-out, but any tea from here is going to be top shelf. All of their ingredients are fresh. So fresh, in fact, that if you buy a tea with fruit in it you can pick out the dried fruit and eat it right then.


I would also add chai to this list, but this one is a bit tricky. Most chais are essentially the same; it is how you make them that is the difference. You can not add anything, using just the tea bag and hot water, or you can add milk and sugar. I never drink my chai without milk and sugar. To say this beverage is my favorite would be an understatement. I am fairly positive that I have chai running through my veins, not blood. This is one area of tea that I am somewhat of a guru; if chai is on your menu I am going to try it. Would you like a list of the best places to get chai around(ish) Atlanta?


1. Jittery Joe's. Unfortunately, this coffee shop is pretty much only in Athens. However, their vanilla chai made with milk is THE BEST, hands down.

2. Parkside Bakery & Cafe. This cafe is located in Grayson. I have my suspicions that they get their chai from the same place that Jittery Joe's does, but they make it slightly different.

3. Cafe Intermezzo. This really amazing place has several Atlanta locations and offers a tea menu unlike anything I have come across before. My favorite tea is their strawberries and creme- yes that is exactly what it tastes like. I get it as a latte (with milk) and they have honest-to-goodness sugar cubes on the tables. Perfection.

4. Starbucks. Their chai tea latte is okay by itself, but when you get them to make it with whole milk and add one pump of the caramel brulee sauce, it is really good. If the caramel brulee is not available, the regular caramel is pretty good. One thing that bugs me though- chai means "tea", so why call it a chai tea latte? Redundant.

So, as you can see, there is probably a tea out there for you. You just haven't discovered it yet. It is a much better option than any other hot beverage you are consuming. It is healthy and cheaper. You don't feel bloated after a cup of tea, excluding chai of course. It really is rather filling.

Don't take my word for it! Other, more important people feel the same way.

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

“Honestly, if you're given the choice between Armageddon or tea, you don't say 'what kind of tea?”
― Neil Gaiman

“Arthur blinked at the screens and felt he was missing something important. Suddenly he realized what it was. 'Is there any tea on this spaceship?' he asked.”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

“There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.”
― Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

“There are few nicer things than sitting up in bed, drinking strong tea, and reading.”
― Alan Clark

“But indeed I would rather have nothing but tea.”
― Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

7 comments:

  1. Yay! I was hoping you'd post about tea soon. I agree with you about the chai at Jittery Joes! Will have to try Parkside's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will not be the last post on tea. I have lots to say on the subject :)

      Delete
    2. Sweet! I can't wait!

      Delete
  2. I love this post! Chai tea and/or Earl Gray tea with some brown sugar are my favorites! I also enjoy some Cinnamon Spice teas. :)

    If you ever find yourself in the twin cities Minnesota area, there is a little coffee house that you MUST go to that has the BEST CHAI in the world. It's very different and doesn't compare to any chai I've had anywhere else and it CAN NOT be re created (much to my despair and failed attempts).

    Uncommon Grounds is the name of the shop in the Uptown neighborhood. Their chai menu is endless (they can make it with all kinds of different flavors). My favorites are the simple Regular Soy Chai or the Vanilla Chai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am willing to travel great distances for chai! I will put that on my list :)

      Delete
  3. Great post!! I'm not a huge tea connoisseur, but I do occasionally drink it. I've never tried any tea with milk and/or sugar, though! Maybe I'm missing out. Mostly I drink green tea and english breakfast. Boring and common, but it's what I like! I don't really like fruit-y or flower-y ones. I've never tried chai, but I really want to! I'll have to buy some next time I'm at the store or in Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love English Breakfast! Have you tried Irish Breakfast? It has a little more oomf to it. I drink it with a little milk and it is really good. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete