Wednesday, January 14, 2015

2014 End of Year Book Survey


This is our first time participating in the End of Year Book Survey hosted by Jamie at the Perpetual Page-Turner, and y'all--we're SO EXCITED to share our answers with you!! This has been the most time-consuming post we've put together so far, but I'm glad we have a place to come back and reflect on our year in books, and see how our reading lives change (or don't change) over time. We also got to highlight a few books we haven't reviewed on the blog yet - so be sure to scroll through all four sections. You might find your next favorite read! ;)

2014 Reading Stats

Number Of Books Read


Jenny: 284

Lesley Anne: 33 (Yes, I am more than embarrassed to write that after Jenny's answer).

Number of Re-Reads


Jenny: Too many to count. I re-read a lot of books.

Lesley Anne: I'm surprised I only re-read two books in 2014! I re-read Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Genre You Read The Most From


Jenny: Fantasy

Lesley Anne: Fantasy (13 books)

Best In Books

1. Best Book You Read In 2014?


Jenny: American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Lesley Anne: Ha, like I'm going to pick just one! I decided to split mine up into a few categories since I can't pick a favorite favorite.

-Classic: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
-YA Fantasy: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
-Non-Fiction: Orphan Justice: How to Care For Orphans Beyond Adoption by Johnny Carr
-Adult Contemporary: The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?


Jenny: Hild by Nicola Griffith and Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Lesley Anne: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. Clearly from my answer about my most-read genre, I am all about some fantasy. But this one just really missed the mark for me. This series is touted as one of the best YA fantasy series out there, so perhaps I'll give it another try in print since I tried this one as an audiobook first.

3. Most surprising (in a good or bad way) book you read in 2014?


Jenny: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman. Surprising in a good way!

Lesley Anne: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. I am not even lying to you when I say I almost had to pull over and throw up on the side of the road because of a certain situation while listening to this audiobook. So yes...surprising in a BAD way.

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?


Jenny: All of Sarah Addison Allen's books. They have been making the rounds among my people.

Lesley Anne: Ditto. Now that I've read both The Peach Keeper and The Sugar Queen, I will unashamedly push any Sarah Addison Allen book, especially on those who love adult contemporary romance!

5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?


Jenny: Series Started - Seraphina by Rachel Hartman and The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen. Best Sequel - Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs. Best Series Ender - Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers.

Lesley Anne: The best series I started in 2014 is the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas. I loooove this series. I'll admit the first book, Throne of Glass, wasn't that stellar, but Crown of Midnight really elevated everything for me (and is the Best Sequel I read in 2014). The best series ender I read last year would be Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?


Jenny: Ilona Andrews and Sarah Addison Allen.

Lesley Anne: I have to go with the Sarahs: Sarah J. Maas and Sarah Addison Allen.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?


Jenny: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

Lesley Anne: Orphan Justice: How to Care for Orphans Beyond Adopting by Johnny Carr. Even though I enjoy non-fiction, it's not what I pick up first when I have time to read, and I haven't read a lot of non-fiction on orphans and adoption. Even though it was a bit out of my comfort zone, I'm really glad I read this one that covered a myriad of topics from international adoption and the U.S. foster-care system to HIV/AIDS and human trafficking.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?


Jenny: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Lesley Anne: Based solely on being action-packed and thrilling, The Maze Runner by James Dashner.

9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read This Year?


Jenny: Too many to name. Like I mentioned earlier, I love to re-read books.

Lesley Anne: I've ordered The Assassin's Blade and Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas with my Christmas money, so I'll most likely re-read Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight this year (especially considering the fourth book in the series comes out in September!).

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?


Jenny: Possession by A.S. Byatt

Lesley Anne: There are soooo many covers I loved from books I read last year, but the girly girl in me wins this one with The Selection by Kiera Cass.

11. Most memorable character of 2014?


Jenny: Silhara from Master of Crows by Grace Draven.

Lesley Anne: I have to go with Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. How can you not?! And an honorable mention goes to The Darkling from the Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?


Jenny: Possession by A.S. Byatt

Lesley Anne: Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. Even though the circumstances of the novel weren't that beautiful, the way Kent crafted her words was so haunting and unforgettable.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?


Jenny: Jesus Feminist by Sarah Bessey and Medieval Exegesis by Henri de Lubac

Lesley Anne: I don't want to give anything away, but it's pretty much impossible to read Me Before You by JoJo Moyes and not have a strong, thought-provoking response to it. I wouldn't say that it changed my life, but it definitely gave me a lot to think about after I turned the final page.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?


Jenny: The Lord of the Rings J.R.R. Tolkien

Lesley Anne: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?


Jenny: “Now and then there are readings that make the hairs on the neck, the non-existent pelt, stand on end and tremble, when every word burns and shines hard and clear and infinite and exact, like stones of fire, like points of stars in the dark—readings when the knowledge that we shall know the writing differently or better or satisfactorily, runs ahead of any capacity to say what we know, or how. In these readings, a sense that the text has appeared to be wholly new, never before seen, is followed, almost immediately, by the sense that it was always there, that we the readers, knew it was always there, and have always known it was as it was, though we have now for the first time recognised, become fully cognisant of, our knowledge.” A.S. Byatt, Possession

Lesley Anne: "Books can be possessive, can't they? You're walking around in a bookstore and a certain one will jump out at you, like it had moved there on its own, just to get your attention. Sometimes what's inside will change your life, but sometimes you don't even have to read it. Sometimes it's a comfort just to have a book around. Many of these books haven't even had their spines cracked. 'Why do you buy books you don't even read?' our daughter asks us. That's like asking someone who lives alone why they bought a cat. For company, of course." Sarah Addison Allen, The Sugar Queen

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2014?


Jenny: Shortest - Reflections on the Psalms by C.S. Lewis. Longest - The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

Lesley Anne: Not including novellas, the shortest would be The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (181 pages). The longest - Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (488 pages).

17. Book That Shocked You The Most (Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)


Jenny: Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers

Lesley Anne: I'm going with Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo. I loved this one in particular because the shocking moments weren't there for shock value alone. Everything that happened had a meaning, and I thought it was an excellent conclusion to this series!

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)


Jenny: Anna and Charles from the Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs.

Lesley Anne: Chaol and Celaena from Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year


Jenny: Too many to count. Tight friendships are my favorite.

Lesley Anne: Marianne and Elinor from Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. Even though they are different in every way, they still show such deep love and affection for each other. I love these two sisters!

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously


Jenny: This question is redundant. See any of the questions, more or less, that I've answered previously.

Lesley Anne: Although I wouldn't say it was her best work, I have to go with Ignite Me by Taherah Mafi.

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:


Jenny: The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen. Thanks, Lesley Anne!

Lesley Anne: Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. Both Hannah and Brenna recommended this one to me, and I'm so glad I gave it a chance!

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?


Jenny: Robbie from The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley.

Lesley Anne: Gotta love me some STURMHOND from Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo!

23. Best 2014 debut you read?


Jenny: The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

Lesley Anne: The Nesting Place: It Doesn't Have to be Perfect to be Beautiful by Myquillyn Smith.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?


Jenny: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.

Lesley Anne: Even though it was a re-read, I have to go with The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. Setting, and the histories of the various peoples involved in Bilbo's journey, played a vital role in the book, and to describe the setting and world-building as vivid would be an understatement. For any question like this, Middle Earth pretty much always wins in my book. ;)

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?


Jenny: The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen

Lesley Anne: Savannah Breeze by Mary Kay Andrews. My sister and I listened to this in the car on the way down to a bachelorette weekend in Savannah (of course!), and we were literally laughing out loud at the main character's commentary and the ridiculous situations she found herself in.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?


Jenny: The Locust Effect by Gary Haugen

Lesley Anne: Most definitely Orphan Justice by Johnny Carr.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?


Jenny: Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier.

Lesley Anne: How To Study Your Bible by Kay Arthur. Our small group went through this book over the summer and fall last year, and the things I learned about the inductive method will forever change the way I study my Bible and interact with God's word. So grateful for reads like this!

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?


Jenny: Grendel by John Gardner.

Lesley Anne: This may not be what was meant by this question, but the quality of the writing in The Selection by Kiera Cass pretty much crushed my soul. In a bad way. (I know most soul-crushing things are bad--but you know what I mean).

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?


Jenny: Unsure

Lesley Anne: The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen. I think we've established the fact that we think Sarah Addison Allen's books are special, but the characters and magical realism in this particular SAA novel stood out as different to me.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?


Jenny: The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan.

Lesley Anne: Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks. The "twist" at the end. Don't even get me started.

Your Blogging/Bookish Life

1. Favorite review you wrote in 2014?


Jenny: The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley.

Lesley Anne: It's a close tie between my review of Burial Rites by Hannah Kent and The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen.

2. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?


Jenny: Musings: God as Other

Lesley Anne: Even though I'm having to give myself more time to complete this challenge, I loved my introduction post for The Austen Project.

3. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

JennyTop Ten Tuesdays hosted by the Broke and the Bookish.

Lesley Anne: Looking back on 2014, I'm surprised I didn't participate in any author signings or events last year! There were a few I really wanted to attend, but just didn't work out with my schedule. I really want to make this more of a priority this year! Lest I leave you empty-handed with my answer, though, ARC Parties with Margot and Audrey from Epic Reads are always a fun virtual event to attend. It's impossible to watch one of their videos and not feel some kind of excitement about books. Their enthusiasm for reading is so contagious!

4. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?


Jenny: When someone would tell me they loved a book recommended on the blog.

Lesley Anne: Most definitely starting a book club! It has been so much fun and also a lot of hard work, but I'm glad we found a way to bring this eclectic group of girls together!

5. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?


Oddly enough, the most popular post on our blog last year had nothing to do with books at all. Jenny's post on her Kitchen Renovation got the most love, without a doubt!

6. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?


Jenny: Any of the book reviews. People don't want to seem to read a book review lol. Also, Musings: Christmas Hymns.

Lesley Anne: I agree with Jenny on the need for our reviews to get a little more love! I would also add my monthly recap posts, since they are so time-consuming to put together.

7. Best bookish discovery (book-related sites, book stores, etc.)?


Jenny: Parnassus Books in Nashville!

Lesley Anne: As someone who has a long commute to and from work everyday, Librivox has been a sort of saving grace. Librivox provides free audiobook downloads for books in the public domain (aka classics). This is how I read Anne of Green Gables, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, and Mansfield Park last year!

8. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?


Yes, but we will blog more about that later. :)

Looking Ahead

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?


Jenny: Innocence by Dean Koontz.

Lesley AnneSabriel by Garth Nix.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?


Jenny: First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen.

Lesley Anne: There are so many! Since I have to pick, I'll go with A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas. CAN'T. WAIT.

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?


Jenny: The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan.

Lesley Anne: Even though it has already been released, I'm still anticipating reading Colleen Oakley's debut novel, Before I Go. It sounds authentic and heart wrenching and oh so good. The main character is married and in her late twenties, and the novel is set in Athens, GA. So much to relate to from the onset!

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?


Jenny: Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman.

Lesley Anne: I'm excited for The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon, The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutoski, and The Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Johansen. I own but haven't read the first book in all three of these series, so maybe the release of these sequels will be my motivation to finally read the first books!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?


Jenny: JOIN A LIBRARY.

Lesley Anne: So many things! But most of all, I want to remember to enjoy the experience of reading, and not pressure myself too much when it comes to reading and blogging. Here's to a GREAT year in 2015! 

No comments:

Post a Comment