Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Top Ten Characters We'd NEVER Want To Trade Places With

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is Top Ten Characters We'd NEVER Want to Trade Places With. This topic was somewhat of a challenge for us, but between Jenny and I we were able to come up with five characters each that made us grateful we get to be on the other side of the page!

Lesley Anne's Top Five Characters She'd Never Want to Trade Places With

1. Anne Boleyn (The Other Boleyn Girl) - How many reasons do you need with Anne? We all know the history here. Loved and hated for her beauty and charm, subject to the whims of a temperamental king, a pawn in her family's ambition for wealth and status, suffering countless miscarriages and unable to produce a male heir for King Henry VIII, ultimately resulting in her beheading. Her story is so very fascinating, but so very tragic at the same time - and I'm so glad I'm not her.

2. Agnes Mangúsdóttir (Burial Rites) - I just finished reading Burial Rites by Hannah Kent and I think it's safe to say I will be haunted by Agnes' story for the rest of my life. I don't even know what else to say here because it's hard for me to put my feelings for Agnes and the last months of her life into words. Even though I would never want to trade places with her, I think her story is definitely worth reading about, and you should put Burial Rites on the top of your TBR if it is not already there. Trust me. :)

3. Marie Tussaud (Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution) - Marie lived during one of the most tumultuous times in French history, and to make matters worse, somehow found herself in the precarious position between the aristocracy and the increasingly disgruntled citizens of France. She had to live a life of delicate political balance, and that's just mentally exhausting. What solidifies this choice for me is that after a certain mob attack, she had to deal with a few men who brought severed heads to her so she could make wax models out of them. Just NO.

4. Primrose Everdeen - (The Hunger Games) - There had to be at least one character from The Hunger Games on this list! I chose Primrose because I think her storyline in the trilogy is the one that makes me the most sad (and mad, if we're being honest, but that's another topic for another day). To live with the knowledge that your sister went through the most horrific experience of her life in order to save you from it, I don't even know how a person can deal with that. And I'm glad I don't have to.

5. Severus Snape - (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince) - How do I even talk about Snape without getting all weepy? Snape is probably one of my favorite fictional characters of all time. He is so complex and misunderstood and brilliant and just GAAAHHH. But even though he is one of my favorites, I would never for a second want to trade places with him. There are many reasons for this, but chief of all - I just don't do snakes.

Jenny's Top Five Characters She'd Never Want to Trade Places With

6. Jacob Black (Twilight series) - I would not want to be any character in this series, but most especially not Jacob. The poor dude is a great friend and is taken advantage of again and again. Then, to add insult to injury, his HEA is with his crush's daughter?! That is messed up.

7. Odysseus' Men (The Odyssey) - Odysseus is most definitely a hero; I will not try to argue otherwise. He did, however, make some terrible decisions that worked out rather poorly for his crew. The decision to hang out and confront Polyphemus? Odysseus' idea. Result? A few of his men getting eaten, while still alive. The decision to taunt the cyclops and call down the wrath of Poseidon? All Odysseus. Result? No one made it back home to Ithaca except for Odysseus. Oh, and the Phaecians were also screwed over by Poseidon for helping Odysseus. If your name wasn't Odysseus, you were expendable, as far as Homer was concerned.

8. Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights) - I feel like this one really does not even need an explanation. I read this novel in 12th grade and still, to this day, I feel a slight shudder when I hear the name "Cathy". The degree to which he is consumed with and by Cathy is terrifying. I cannot imagine my identity being so wrapped up in another person the way his is. Is there a Heathcliff without Cathy?

9. Emma of Normandy (The Forever Queen) - This book is about a really extraordinary woman who is wife to two kings and the mother of two kings. While that sounds awesome, the reality is it is not at all. Your only value is in your title as queen; this makes you a pawn to the men who surround you. As much as it stunk to be poor during the early Middle Ages, being a wealthy, titled woman would be much worse, in my opinion. (Not to mention all the modern conveniences you would have to do without!)

10. Sicarius (Emperor's Edge series) - This guy was bred to be an assassin. Literally. He spent his whole life learning how to be the best. This included fun things like learning languages, drawing, etc. It also included lessons on how to withstand torture, physical and psychological. Serious case of child abuse. At first it seems cool because he can do some awesome stuff, but when you realize what went into making him awesome.... it kind of turns your stomach.  

1 comment:

  1. I'd hate to be Anne Boleyn from The Other Boleyn Girl too! Severus Snape is a great choice. Great list :-)

    ReplyDelete