Tuesday, January 14, 2014

2014 Debuts I'm Excited For

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is Top Ten 2014 Debuts You're Excited For. 
 
I (Jenny) am actually really bad at coming up with books I am excited about. Why? Because I am an impatient person. I would rather not think about how long it takes for books to be published. However, I managed to come up with 8 books! So it's not a Top Ten, but I think it is close enough :)
 

1. The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan. This is the last book in his Heroes of Olympus series and I am anxious to see how it ends! Riordan is so great about wrapping up a series and not leaving annoying loose ends.

2. The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness. This, too, is a final book- the final book of the All Souls Trilogy. These series is paranormal fiction for grownups. I was not a huge fan of the second book, so I am hoping that the third one steps it up a bit.

3. Winter Siege by Ariana Franklin. For those of you who read my review of her Mistress of the Art of Death series, you know what a big fan I am. She was in the middle of writing this book when she passed away and her daughter finished it. It is a lovely surprise for me because I never thought to read a new book by her again.

4. The Secret Place by Tana French. This is technically a series, but you can easily read the books in any order or as stand alones. Her mysteries stump me every time. I love her gritty, Irish dialogue.

5. The Mark of the Midnight Manzilla by Lauren Willig. This is #11 in her Pink Carnation series. I am normally not a fan of long series (Harry Potter aside, of course) but this one is too fun not to keep up with. Willig's research is superb and there is never a "that would never happen and I cannot suspend belief becacuse it is just too stupid" moment.

6. Under the Wide and Starry Sky by Nancy Horan. There is something about this story that just seems so beautiful. I have not read her first book but the blurb for this one has totally sucked me in.

7. Why I Read: The Serious Pleasure of Books by Wendy Lesser. One of my reading goals is to read more non-fiction and this book seems like a good one to add to the list.

8. Danubia: A Personal History of Hapsburg Europe by Simon Winder. This period of history is a bit later than what I study but the Hapsburgs are such an interesting family! I am excited to read this because this type of book is a great way to be introduced to huge historical topic. It is funny and entertaining without being too educational.

No comments:

Post a Comment