Thursday, January 9, 2014

Review: The Rosie Project

The Vitals

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Release Date: 1 October 2013
Page Count: 304
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Target Audience: Adult
Series: No
Source and Format: Bought; Kindle eBook
Summary (From Goodreads)
Don Tillman, professor of genetics, has never been on a second date. He is a man who can count all his friends on the fingers of one hand, whose lifelong difficulty with social rituals has convinced him that he is simply not wired for romance. So when an acquaintance informs him that he would make a “wonderful” husband, his first reaction is shock. Yet he must concede to the statistical probability that there is someone for everyone, and he embarks upon The Wife Project. In the orderly, evidence-based manner with which he approaches all things, Don sets out to find the perfect partner. She will be punctual and logical—most definitely not a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker, or a late-arriver.

Yet Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is also beguiling, fiery, intelligent—and on a quest of her own. She is looking for her biological father, a search that a certain DNA expert might be able to help her with. Don's Wife Project takes a back burner to the Father Project and an unlikely relationship blooms, forcing the scientifically minded geneticist to confront the spontaneous whirlwind that is Rosie—and the realization that love is not always what looks good on paper.

The Rosie Project is a moving and hilarious novel for anyone who has ever tenaciously gone after life or love in the face of overwhelming challenges.

 
Notes on The Rosie Project
This is a cute book for those who want to escape from reality for a bit. I am not normally a fan of romantic comedies (especially on the big screen), but this one was really great. I think it is because it was more funny than romantic. The main character, Don, has Asperger's but has been undiagnosed. He is a professor at a univesity in Australia and has a full life. He decides that he needs a wife, so he goes about it in a very clinical manner. Everything he does is very... factual. He does not understand emotions very well but he realizes this, which makes him all the more endearing. I really enjoy the academic setting, since it is kind of my thing. The other professors and grad students are stereotypical, which adds to the humor.

Chief Complaint
My biggest complaint was Rosie. For me, it seemed as if the love between Don and Rosie was a bit forced. Since Don is the narrator, we know exactly what he is thinking. Rosie can be ambigious at times and does not explain herself because Don does not understand emotions very well so she just doesn't bother. It is not Rosie the character that I dislike; it is how the author has left out important chunks. I am still not exactly sure why Don loves Rosie.

Overall Diagnosis
I really hate to give it 3 stars because I love Don that much. The gaps with Rosie, however, are a bit too much for me. It is a good solid story, but not one I will make a point to re-read every year. I do think everyone should read it once, just so they can get to know Don.
Notable Quotes
“You’re unbelievable,” said Rosie. “Look at me when I’m talking.”
I kept looking out the window. I was already over-stimulated.
“I know what you look like.” 

Get a Second Opinion
  • Lauren at Love is Not a Triangle - "Such a fun read. Delightfully quirky, funny and happy making."
  • Jane at Dear Author - "...the story is cute and often quite humorous. And more importantly, it felt different than the books I’d been reading before."

No comments:

Post a Comment