Thursday, December 26, 2013

Mini Review: Fire by Kristin Cashore


Release Date: 5 October 2009
Pages: 461
Genre: Fantasy
Target Audience: Young Adult
Series: Graceling Realm #2
Source and Format: Bought; Kindle e-book

Summary (From Goodreads):
It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. The young King Nash clings to his throne while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. The mountains and forests are filled with spies and thieves and lawless men.

This is where Fire lives. With a wild, irresistible appearance and hair the color of flame, Fire is the last remaining human monster. Equally hated and adored, she had the unique ability to control minds, but she guards her power, unwilling to steal the secrets of innocent people. Especially when she has so many of her own.

Then Prince Brigan comes to bring her to King City, The royal family needs her help to uncover the plot against the king. Far away from home, Fire begins to realize there's more to her power than she ever dreamed. Her power could save the kingdom.

If only she weren't afraid of becoming the monster her father was.


Thoughts on Fire:
I have really mixed feelings about this book. So mixed, in fact, I only gave it 2 stars on Goodreads. It has all the elements necessary for a solid fantasy book, but somehow manages to fall short for me. I even re-read it, just to make sure I perhaps missed something. This turned out to not be the case. Before you come to the conclusion that I hate it, let me set out some positives for you.

Pros: the characters. I adored every character except the main character, Fire. Cashore did an excellent job of creating characters that you can connect with and feel for. The hero, Brigan, is one of my favorite heroes of the fantasy genre. He is one of the main reasons why I am glad I purchased the book.  Also, the world building is wonderful. You really get a feel for the kingdom of Dells and the culture. This book has a really solid storyline; it is completely ruined for me, however by the eponymous (vocab word! See definition here) character.

Cons: Fire herself. She is filled with so much angst I honestly cannot understand her internal monologues. I get lost amidst all of the emotions. She has a very tough life and is the only one of her kind left. I get it; that really sucks. When Fire is interacting with other characters everything is fine. When left to her own devices, however, she tends to have lots of meltdowns. Another con for me was the way the ending seemed a bit rushed. Cashore adds a character from the first book and it doesn't seem to come together as smoothly as it should. There...that was vague enough that you can't accuse me of spoiling the ending. ;)

So. Would I recommend it? Perhaps with a warning. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. If you like angst, this is the book for you. I think it is worth reading so you can get to know Brigan and his family.

Memorable Quote:
“While I was looking the other way your fire went out
Left me with cinders to kick into dust

What a waste of the wonder you were
In my living fire I will keep your scorn and mine
In my living fire I will keep your heartache and mine
At the disgrace of a waste of a life”

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about this one! I really enjoyed Graceling, and then I found this one to be kind of a letdown. Interestingly, I actually liked Graceling less when I re-read it a few months later. I don't know what happened - maybe I got really caught up in it the first time around? I have the third book, Bitterblue, but I still haven't read it yet. I just don't feel as excited about this series as I did when I first finished Graceling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I have no desire to read Bitterblue. I have such mixed emotions about this series. Some parts I really love, other parts I really hate.

      Delete