Friday, December 19, 2014

The Pathological Readers Holiday Gift Guide: Books for Adults


In case you missed it, Lesley Anne and I are doing a gift guide series for the holidays. Our gift guides will mainly stick to book recommendations (since this is a book blog after all) broken up by age group. Today I'm sharing just a few of my favorite recommendations for the adult book lovers in your life.



Mystery/Thriller


1. The Pawn by Steven James
The amount of details James packs into these books are incredible. The series - The Bowers Files - follow Special Agent Patrick Bowers as he solves cases that are creepy and engrossing. The psychological element is intense. If you are a fan of the show Criminal Minds you will definitely love this series!

2. In the Woods by Tana French
I devoured this book in 6 hours. I literally could not put it down. French captures your attention from page one and does not let it go. I was lucky in that I discovered her after three of her books had already been published so I gorged on them over a weekend. Each of her books is a stand alone, though the sidekick of the previous book is the protagonist of the following book. Example: the protagonist of In the Woods is Rob Ryan and Cassie Maddox is his partner. The next book, The Likeness, is about Cassie Maddox. A bit of warning- French is Irish (ha! That was inadvertently funny) so the dialogue is a bit colorful (read: profane). And by a bit I mean a lot. If that is something that is off-putting for you then this is not the author for you.

Fantasy


3. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
This book is why I love fantasy. The protagonist is a wizard who manages to get in and out of scrapes that his unusual childhood has prepared him to deal with. Rothfuss is a bit long-winded but the prose is wonderful and the characters who inhabit his world are the best. They are who they are, warts and all. They are not sugarcoated or magically perfect. That, to me, is what is what makes a great fantasy book.

4. Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews
This book is about a mercenary who lives in a magical Atlanta. There are multiple factions who control parts of the city, including vampires (not your traditional vamps!), animal shifters, witches/wizards, and some not so easily identifiable creatures. The protagonist is a strong female who does not end up with anyone at the end of the book *gasp* and it is great. This series is more light-hearted than The Name of the Wind but the world-building is second to none.

Magical Realism


5. The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen
Lesley Anne and I both have been obsessed with Allen this year. Literally every person I let borrow my copy of this book returns it to me asking for more. It is a deceptively short novel that packs a lot of humanity into a few pages. Wonderful for a night snuggled under blankets with hot tea or on the beach soaking up the sun.

Literary Fiction


6. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
This book is both heartbreaking and satisfying. Oscar Wao is a boy who is not afraid to live. It is a multigenerational story that shows the consequences of actions. It is a multicultural story that shows the beauty of diversity within society. It is sad in way that gives you hope.

Nonfiction


7. No Man Is an Island by Thomas Merton
This is my all-time favorite nonfiction book. It is very contemplative and not something you can sit down and read in two days. The beauty with which Merton sees the world and Jesus is unsurpassed, in my opinion. Even if you are not a deep thinker this book will help you to see the world in a richer, kinder way.

8. Yes Please by Amy Poehler
This is a bit of a cheat as I haven't read it yet, but she is so stinkin' funny. We are reading it for book club this month and I have no doubt I am going to enjoy every page. That is how confident I am in how good it will be- I am recommending before having actually read it!

Hopefully this will help y'all out! I obviously have a ton more recommendations so please feel free to ask. If nothing else, it will look impressive to have any of these books on your bookshelf (though that pains me to say!).

No comments:

Post a Comment