Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Baby You're So Classic

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is your Top Ten Favorite Classics or Top Ten Classics You Want to Read. Basically I (Lesley Anne) had to jump up and down and do a little happy dance when I saw this topic. I don't know what it is, but classics get me so fired up about reading! I'll be the first to say I didn't always feel this way about classics, though, and I know they aren't all fun and games. I definitely get that. I mentioned this exact struggle yesterday when I talked about my Jane Austen goal and Mansfield Park. But classics are really the building blocks for the books we enjoy today, and they deserve to be read! So here are the top ten classics Jenny and I hope to tackle next.  


1. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell | 2. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy | 3. Les Misérables by Victor Hugo | 4. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett | 5. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas | 6. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë | 7. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier | 8. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens | 9. Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray | 10. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett


1. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer | 2. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky | 3. Ulysses by James Joyce | 4. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway | 5. 1984 by George Orwell | 6. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton | 7. Paradise Lost by John Milton | 8. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck | 9. The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan | 10. The Mabinogion by Unknown

If you've read any of the above, let us know where you think we should start! And tell us: Which classics are your favorites, or which classics do you hope to read soon?  

4 comments:

  1. I definitely recommend Gone with the Wind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that you recently read and loved GWTW, and it made me SO excited to get started on it! I finally have my own copy, so hopefully it'll find its way to the top of my TBR soon. :)

      Delete
  2. The Secret Garden is one of my favourites, such a beautiful book. Jane Eyre is great too. I really want to read Rebecca and Les Mis and the Count of Monte Cristo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES to all of the above! I'm right there with you on wanting to read Rebecca, Les Mis, and the Count of Monte Cristo so badly. If only I didn't let their size intimidate me so much!

      Delete