Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Jenny: Top Ten Books I've Read So Far This Year


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is Top Ten Books You've Read So Far This Year. These are not in any particular order, other than the first one. I have read 85 books this year, so it was a bit hard to narrow down the list. I have, it seems, developed an affinity for the fantasy genre.

Top Ten Books Jenny Has Read So Far This Year

1. American Gods by Neil Gaiman. This is also one of my new all-time favorite books. You can read all about my feelings for it here.

2. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. One  of my best friend's little brother recommended this book and I was not disappointed. It got a bit cyclical towards the end- hero is doing well, does something stupid, ends up paying for it, repeat. But, as far as books I've read this year, it is definitely one of the best.

3. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. This was my (and my students!) favorite book of the semester. You can read my review on the novel here.

4. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. I was initially skeptical about this book because I had been disappointed in the last two trilogies I read- here's looking at you Hunger Games and Divergent- and was not looking to start another. Lesley Anne convinced me to give it a try and I am so glad I did!

5. Beowulf: A Translation and Commentary by J.R.R. Tolkien. THIS BOOK. I cannot even begin to tell y'all how amazing it is. The catch- only those who have studied the poem will be able to really appreciate how incredible this book is. But don't let that stop you from reading it!

6. Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. I have no idea why I gave this book a try, but I'm glad I did. It is paranormal fantasy without the overwhelming erotic overtones that are so prevalent in the genre. Briggs is a smart writer and her character development is fantastic.

7. The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer. Her books are hit or miss for me and this one was definitely a hit. The dialogue and characters are perfect.

8. The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. It is hard to put my finger on what, exactly, I love about this book. The characters, the world building, the pacing, all of it works together beautifully. I read this one before I read The Hero and the Crown, which is the first book in the series and did not have a problem understanding what was going on. I am glad I did read them out of order because I did not enjoy the first one that much.

9. The Just Church by Jim Martin. This book is a guide for churches and individuals who want to get involved in social justice. What makes it so wonderful is its practicality. Martin does a good job of making sure the reader knows how difficult that line of work is.

10. Pride and Prodigies by Andy Orchard. This book is part of my research for my thesis on Grendel, so don't be misled by the cool title into thinking it is not academic. It is a wonderful introduction to some of the most prominent monsters in Anglo-Saxon literature and it very easy to read. Orchard is an excellent writer, which is harder to find than one might think in the world of academia.

No comments:

Post a Comment