Monday, May 23, 2016

Our Favorite Podcasts

As lovers of stories, naturally Jenny and I love getting lost in a good podcast. You might have heard 2016 declared as "The Year of the Podcast," but these mini radio shows have been a big part of our lives for a while now. Podcasts are great for stimulating your brain during those fringe hours--while you're driving to work, cooking dinner, doing the dishes, or out for a walk. Today Jenny and I are sharing just a few of our favorites!    

Lesley Anne's Favorites

1. Around the Table Podcast - This is my #1 can't-miss podcast right now. When I first discovered Around the Table, I went back and listened to their entire backlog of episodes--it's THAT good. This podcast is chatty and fun, and I love the dynamic of Jacey and Maggie's different personalities. If you like conversational podcasts, then this one is for you!

2. The Relevant Podcast - Whenever I've just finished a really serious audiobook or life is getting a little mundane, this is the podcast I like to listen to. It's guaranteed to make me laugh out loud, and everyone needs a little ridiculous humor in their life. This podcast is also a great place to discover new music and books, but a warning: this podcast tends to be LONG. Episodes average about an hour and 45 minutes, so make sure you have plenty of time on your hands when you listen in.  

3. What Should I Read Next -
If you read Modern Mrs. Darcy's blog, then you already know about Anne's brand new podcast. We're only twenty episodes in, and I'm in love. Host Anne Bogel asks each of her guests a series of questions, and based on their answers, gives them suggestions on what they should read next. Hi new favorite! 

4. Pregnancy Perfect -
I actually discovered this podcast before we started trying to get pregnant, but after listening to a few episodes, I had to stop. I realized it wasn't good for my heart to think so much about pregnancy before I was actually in that season. That was totally a personal decision, but I'm glad I decided to wait. Now I seriously can't get enough! Hearing about other women's pregnancy and birth stories is so fascinating to me and I've learned so much in the past few months. I highly recommend this podcast if you are pregnant or have an interest in women's health!

Jenny's Favorites 

1. RadioLab - I have no idea how to even begin to describe this podcast. If there is something new, cool, or mind-blowing out there, RadioLab will find it.

2. In Our Time - Definitely an egghead podcast. It is a round table discussion of a historic topic in which some of the preeminent minds in the field give a general overview of it.

3. Serial - This podcast took over the world last year. It is about crime that was solved but, perhaps, was solved incorrectly? You be the judge.

4. Just Thinking + Let My People Think - Christian apologist, philosopher, and thinker Ravi Zacharias is the mind behind these podcasts about how Christianity and modern thought (or really any thought) go hand-in-hand.

What are your favorite podcasts? Which episode would you recommend as a first listen? 

No comments:

Post a Comment