Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Top Ten Books Jenny is Thankful for This Year


The Top Ten topic today is actually top ten books on your winter TBR list, but since it is Thanksgiving I thought it would be nice to deviate from that topic. I attended a retirement party for one of the professors in my department this past week and he said something that has stuck with me. This man is a brilliant scholar as well as a caring professor so he has said lots that has made me think. This is just the latest in a long list of things. He said that those of us who are in literature, rather that be professionally or unofficially, are drawn there because one life is not enough. He went on to explain exactly what he meant, but I want you, dear reader, to think on it for yourself. It is a beautiful sentiment and deceptively shallow on the surface. I would, as always, love to hear your thoughts, whether they be here or in person.

So, Thanksgiving + that wonderful thought has lead to this list of books I am thankful for this year. It has been extremely difficult to narrow it down to ten!

    
1. The Psalms. I am thankful for the Bible as a whole, but different books seem to be more dear during different seasons of life. This is a Psalms season for me. The honesty and rawness of the Psalms is something that has been resonating with me.

2. Possession by A.S. Byatt. The beauty of the prose made me love this book more than I probably would have otherwise. The philosophical questions couched in poetry were especially beautiful. After reading this book I felt full and sated.

3. Medieval Exegesis by Henri de Lubac. This study on the history of biblical exegesis was the turning point for my thesis. Without this book my thesis would be mostly speculation. Plus, this man is a wonderful, thorough scholar.

4. The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen. Lesley Anne recommended this book and I am so thankful she did. The little, everyday magics in her books highlight the beauty of an ordinary life. Plus, her descriptions of the settings make one want to plan a trip ASAP.

5. Jesus Feminist by Sarah Bessey. This is the book we read for book club this month and I highly recommend it! I do not want to take up a lot of space here, but suffice to say it is thought-provoking, encouraging, and peaceful. I know that last one is a hard one, but if you read it you will understand :)


6. The Kate Daniels Series by Ilona Andrews. This is a fantasy series set in an Atlanta that experiences fluctuations in magic. This series is all about the characters for me, and not just the main characters, but the cast of secondary characters is great. It starts out a bit slow but is worth sticking with.

7. Is That a Fish in Your Ear? by David Bellos. This is a book I had to read for a class on translation last semester. While I don't agree with everything he says, it is so interesting and makes you think about how we communicate.

8. American Gods by Neil Gaiman. This modern take on deities and culture is funny and astute. There is something about Shadow that is extremely engaging. He might be in my top ten for favorite characters.

9. The Just Church by Jim Martin. This book is a must-read for anyone who is interested in social justice. It is from a Christian perspective and speaks mainly to those involved through their local church. The focus on the personal and the community is my favorite part and something that has been overlooked, I think.

10. The Princess Bride by William Goldman. This is one of the funniest books I have ever read. If you like the movie, you will love the book!

1 comment:

  1. I like your change up on the theme. :) And yes, The Princess Bride is hilarious! :)

    ReplyDelete